TVuUFXBTS6Y17ZBZqqmxz2zB_Ro

google analytics

Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Thinking Toolbox

51rFCw6i0YL.jpg

The Thinking Toolbox

By Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn




  • Educational/ Homeschool
  • my rating is 5 out of 5 stars
  • ISBN : 978-0-9745315-1-9

                    As a homeschool mom myself, I really was excited about getting my hands on a good logic book. Logic is an important aspect of learning and the more engaging the book is, the more interest the kids will have.
                     The first thing I noticed was how friendly the book appears. It has a colorful cover with fun pictures that just invites you to look more. I know for a lot of kids, that's the first step to sparking an interest in a book of any kind.  When I noticed that it was written with a Christian viewpoint, as a mom I was very interested. I liked to see some of the examples linked to Bible verses or situations.
                      In looking through this book, I was not disappointed. The lessons are separated into sections which discuss different reasoning skills. You move from learning about the Tools for Thinking, to the Opposing Viewpoints and finally the Tools of Science. Each section is broken down into lessons that focus on one area of logic. You are given an explaination of the topic which include examples and any stories that might follow along. Then you are given some "do it yourself" exercises to solidify your understanding of what you've learned. The lessons are well thought out and explained. They contain useful examples and great exercises.
                       My favorite lessons were those that transformed the lesson into a mystery to solve. These really allowed the reader to grasp the concepts in a new and entertaining way.
                        At the back of the book there is a section dedicated to projects and games to use outside the book, that encourages more active thinking. There is also an answer key for all the exercises in the book.
                        I really think the authors were great at incorporating the material into a fun book. I recommend this book to any family who wants to encourage logical thinking.
                   
Disclosure: I received a paperback copy of this book in order to do the review. All opinions are honest and my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love to receive and reply to comments. Your comment with appear after it has been approved.